Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Friday, October 8, 2010

Post #6

I've let it go...sorta.

It's curious to me that two people can hear the same sounds and come to completely different opinions about it.

Would I be outta line in saying that music is unique as a form of expression...it doesn't really convey information (I know it can be used to convey information, but doesn't that make it language?). You can write a peice of music and title it Confederate Veterans Day, but really who could hear it without the title and know what it was about? You could make the sound of a ducks quack with a kazoo, but it's the sound of a duck...and I don't think I'm being tautalogical about this.

There are sequences of sound that we recognize as being complete and sperate from other sounds, and these are different than a ducks quack or language. You could string a series of duck quacks into a song, but it's the arrangment that would set it off as a song and not the sound of ducks quacking. One might mistake a language for music, but that would depend on the listener being ignorant of it's actual purpose.

I feel like I may be getting beyond my depth here...in fact I know I am and I better move along before somebody stops by and pops my floaties.

I know there's this business of lyrics...they can be carried on music but they aren't the music...and they can be ignored. At least I know it's possible or I would never have paid for three different copies of Double Nickles on a Dime. Maybe they can't, but that's a different issue. You might say a lyric is depressing, but how can a piece of music be depressing.

Anyway...it's different it's not something you have to interpret...you just hear it and it shakes your rump, taps your foot, or whatever, or not.


How can two people with functioning ears have different reactions to the same ineffable sequence of sounds.? What else besides hearing is going on?

7 comments:

  1. Its probably linked to the same reason I think winter sun has an ethereal beauty and glow, and you think its sterile and what not, and I think summer sun is dull and brash and you no doubt think somewhat different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I have a life time of experience with sunlight...and with a little effort we could probably figure out why you find the mocking sunlight of winter so comfy.

    Sunlight's passive and it's the same sun today and tomorrow and in January and June...I reckon.

    Seasons come with all sorts of psychological baggage...what baggage is there for a song neither of has heard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same I'd say, we also have the same of experience of music. We are dealing with a limited number of chords and sequences here, so each sound or sequence will evoke a different response the same way a word or sentance would. I'd say this is, amongst other things, definately tapping into past experience and psychological baggage.

    I have no idea exactly how this works, but then again if I did I'd be a millionaire, but I bet I could specifically write a song you'd like, based on what I know from your experiences, I'd have to fight hard against my instincts as to how it should sound though.

    Also... I don't find winter sun comfy dude, your words there, but I do like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think writing comes closest to music, but still words have meaning.

    Lord, I am not worthy
    Lord, I am not worthy
    but speak the word only.

    Separating this bit of Ash Wed. by Eliot from Book of Common Prayer is just the first step in trying to read these words as words..besides it's pretty clear that eliot wants us to think about the liturgy...but you could listen to IZZO by Jay Z without ever noticing or thinking about The Jackson 5.

    You're obviously right about the limited number of sounds...which makes it all the more puzzling that the same person could love John Lee Hooker's Boogie Chillun yet not appreciate a song like Wings...the connection is never even made.

    Write me a song then...not that I don't like what I've heard already...but, I want my song now that I know yer capable of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol I'll give it a go, I hope you are in no rush. The one thing I'm not sure if is if I can ignore my own instincs and try to assume yours, which will be VERY difficult, given the nature of song writing. Just so's you know, I think the thing I have to get right is the beat, and you taste is monotonous in that regard!

    With the Jay-Z song it would depend on which elements of the original J5 song appealed to you, if it was the beat, the chords, etc, as to whether you liked that too. If you'd never heard the jackson 5, it would depend on your past experience with beats and chord sequences, and your preferences. The same would apply to Boogie Chillun and Wings, its which elements grabbed you most. Its not surprising people rarely add new tastes in music (maybe more bands of a similar ilk- but rarely suddenly get into rap which they didn't like before) past their late teans/early twenties, when most of this 'gathering' attitude seems to slow or cease.

    I think you can enjoy words, purely for their written form, or their phonetics. If you had no comprehension of the concept of God you could enjoy or hate those 3 lines for what they were. I love some phrases in foreign languages I do not understand? I also love some lines I hate the meaning of:

    'Broke her little bones on the boulders below'

    I love this line, but if i try to figure out its meaning, its most certainly not apealing. Would that be possible if the same were applicaple to words and music?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be waitin'.

    Ash Wed. v. I.Z.Z.O. - You can hear the J5 in izzo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7Nx6eR_GE

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptu0a7vsMcM

    but, the point is, you aren't supposed to think of "I want you Back" the same way you are the liturgy in Ash Wed. You can't get around the direct and specific communication of language.

    If you don't understand a language it's not really functioning as language...it's a sequence of sounds. As compelling as the line above is...you have to work to separate the meaning from the sound...if you can at all really.

    (man the Jackson 5 were good)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll give you this, I struggle finding meaning in the 'sounds' you make sometimes :D

    I think we are talking at cross purposes again. Ho de hum, pub time!

    ReplyDelete