Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Monday, February 21, 2011

The North...Where We Do What We Want

One of the biggest distractions to my writing this weekend was the Netflix that Martha got me. I probably would have been done on Friday if she hadn't signed me up for it.

Among other things, I watched the Red Riding Trilogy over Saturday and Sunday. It sucked. A lot of it was obvious...

"We can just go luv...we'll go south and never come back. You get yer stuff together while I go across town to get mine and when I come back"...she'll be murdered dead...Duh. Or when the lead investigator is invited down to the basement by his loyal buddy, who seems to be the only other straight cop in Yorkshire...yeah he shot him.

The only likeable character in all three movies was the lawyer Pigot. A drunk slob with a great collection of soul records. He and his Soul Music don't show up til the third film.

The twenty something murders, including children, that occur across the span of 10 years and three moview are slmost an after thought...until the last ten minutes of the third movie. The real villian of the film seems to be The North of England.

Everybody lives in squalor, is a sex-pervert (wierdest moment on film...the medium seduces the cop by describing in hushed tones what the missing girl is going through...say what? ), or retarded, or insane, unless they're an utterly corrupt and vile business man who uses the sadistic, racist police force as his own personal army. Thier motto..."To the North. Where We do What We Want!" And what they want to do is break people's hands.

The Yorkshire Ripper, once they catch him...seems almost sympathetic by comparison. The other murderer is a priest of some kind...wears a collar but nobody knows for what church (he's the kid killer...of course...more points for orginality). It's not like he did anything priestly either...he just wore a collar.

I don't know...the fella that wrote the books is from West Yorkshire. Of course some of the worst crap you'll read about The South comes from our own neighbors*...see the aforementioned Donna Ladd, but even she doesn't deny the music, the food and SEC Football. Maybe I'm readin' it wrong...I do live half way round the world. It still sucked either way.

*Be on the lookout for The Help. I've already read a couple of reviews on the blogs that report this book gives a real glimpse into race and class relations in The South and especially Mississippi...uh huh, or maybe it's a glimpse into the mind of warped woman that will lie and trample those close to her in order to tell people what they want to hear and make a buck.

22 comments:

  1. Haha! I made it to the two minute mark on the first film and decided I wasn't goin gto sully my Sunday with it. Looks like I hastily made an utterly correct decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cachoo. Good to see you around here.

    If there had just been a single focus somewhere on finding the killer...that would have been something to latch onto, but they're really just a gruesome excuse for police burtality and perversion.

    The production value was outstanding at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cliches usually abide, as you know dude.

    I asked the drug dealer over the road if he'd seen it, he hadn't but he said the prossie he sells weed to, and her smackhead boyfirend had and they thought the persistent reinforcment of stereotypes was appaling (shes well spoken for a prossie). Anyways, we finished peeing in the road and decided to take the whippets for a walk, and to have a few jars with our social cheques on the way home. True Story. Oh did I mention pigeons and flat caps? damn.

    I haven't seen it meself, probably for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "a pee in the road." haha

    If I'da been there we would've peed in the road.

    I wanna pee on something now.

    One of the funny things about the movies is the multie-million pound shopping mall that the developer wants to build. In fact, the building of which, is the main focus for all the skullduggery and brutality. I'm just wondering the whole time...who's gonna have any money to shop at this thing?

    Your business lady there...does she have a heart as big as Yorkshire itself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could be worse, if they are not having a pop at the north being filled with drugs, sex perverts, and crooks, all bathed in grey skys, then they take to the countryside, where everyones an Idiot that points at aeroplanes, and ****'s sheep. Fair play, some of them do have pretty mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't help but think of all those sexy London* crime moveis we get...the gansters are really chic and aloof. The violence is all very stylized and cool blooded.

    I know this ham-fisted crap first hand and I was irritated enough for the both us watcching it.

    *I love London...spent a lot of good times there...not taking a swipe at it just making a comparison between how different places are presented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Ms. Flick...welcome to the party.


    CRAP. I Was trying to delete a comment I made and ended up deleting yours. What an idiot!

    I'm sorry.

    It's bleak for sure...but, it's just too flat.

    It does have some visually stunning moments though.

    Naked was a bleak film, but the character, as prickley as he was, had three dimensions at least.

    I like This is England for the most part...I wasn't entirely convinced by the little fellas transformation...I didn't understand why he bought into it so quickly. He had found acceptance by that time. Still, it's got some touching momements in it. When his Momma finds him in the diner havin' breakfast and lays down the ground rules..it's sweet.

    Also, it looked great...that's the England that people me and Martha (though of course Martha would have been a mere toddler in the mid-80's :) )first got to know...it was like a Burning Airlines catalouge come to life.

    A film that I love...and it's got a real grim side to it, is Life is Sweet.

    Maybe I'll try and scare up Deadman's Shoes this weekend...thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FLICK's post was not deleted by any nearly as dignified as an adminstrator.

    It was deleted on accident by the internet retarD that runs this site...the post was a good one.

    Y'all go over and read her blog to make up for my clumsiness. You'll thank me later anyway...it's hilarious.

    We don't delete comments around here...of any kind. Unless you show up uninvited trying to sell your nudie screen savers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thinking I'm gonan have to watch this now.

    I don't have a problem with bleakness, though whether that can be assumed to be 'truth'? I detest patronising films and documentaries about slums or poor villages for this reason. Usually they go on about appalling this and that, pointing the camera at someones shanty and sayign how foul existence is.

    That is there house man! They live, laugh and love in there, yes there are shit things, soem god awful crap, no one should cover that up, but don't strip away anything other than the bleakness because thats just a stereotypical ridiculous media caricature. The detail and the nuance is where all the good stuff is, what stops its being flat.

    I struggle to find films, hell anything, where the north of england is not portrayed as a form of caracature, and usually derogatory. Doesn't take lonf before you act up to it just to get a rise. As Mr Maconie aptly points out, we are never just people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. spelling, grammer, incorrect use of their/there... I'll go bakc to my pigeons and whippets

    ReplyDelete
  12. now back and grammar... this get better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, I actually couldn't care less about grammar, punctuation, or spelling. However, I think working with a pedantic editor for 10 years has ruined me. Also, this is not a shabby attempt to correct 'this gets better' above.. honest :-/. I shall go and do some work now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You better go do some work before your nose gets any bigger and you have to sit too far back from the computer screen you can't read it.

    I know good and well that for you and Martha readiing this blog with my sloppy grammar and spellnig is a cring inducing, painful slog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meh, rewind 12 months and I rememeber some joker ribbing me for myt yping. Swings and Roundabouts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yeah...the worst typer evar!

    What happened to that? Pills?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some joker ragged me about it so I got a complex, and practiced 'til I got real good and everyfin'

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a true friend I only picked on you about it because I knew it bothered you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, I thought I'd offended you somehow for a second!

    You've really gotta watch Deadman's Shoes. My boyf showed me it, warning me that it was a bit dark/creepy/whatever but I dunno, you can empathise so much with the main character that it doesn't matter. It's so well done. I'll stop bumming Shane so much now, but yeah, watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bum away...suggestions are always welcomed.

    The only offense commited was by me...against the whole idea of electronic communication. Doing so is one of my super-powers.

    The whole episode did remind us of Adams' quirky typing...som aybei tw asw orthi t.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I should point out..since I'm always giving Adam a hard time...that I only thought his typing issue was quirky. I didn't think it was an indication of any mental deficiancy...like me being mystified by any paring of vowels is.

    ReplyDelete