Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Coffee. Black. Hold the Politics

I haven't spent a dime with Holiday Inn for at least 15 years..since whenever it was they decided to no longer fly the Mississippi state flag on their Mississippi properties.

Mississippi_state_flag

The state voted on it...and by a staggering majority(75%+) we, the state with the largest proportion of black folks in the country, voted to keep it.

Get over yourself...you're a low rent road-side motel with stupid television commercials.

You could call it race politics I guess, but it's not really about race. It's really about the insistent, sad and cloying U.S. need to be loved. They can't fathom that a group of people who, though they really don't deserve it, have the glorious privilege of being citizens of the United States of Uh-meeerica would still harbor separatist sentiments...that's all it is...FULL STOP.

Needy b****es.

Well I don't need to be loved (I'm well taken care of at the house thank you just the same)...

I NEED A CUP OF COFFEE!!!!

I've been in L'usiana all week workin'...with a co-worker who's trying to break the Guiness Book Record for loyalty points with Holiday Inn. So, here I am in one of their rooms...for now that is...until I need another cup of coffee. Then I'll be across the street (not a small feet when you're on Causeway in Metarie) at the curbstore standing in line behind 25 construction workers...all waiting to pay a buck fifty for a hot cup of bilge water marked Gourmet.


These morons have decided to remove the coffee pot from the lobby.

A motel without a coffee pot in the lobby!

Seriously...there's no coffee pot in the lobby.

11 comments:

  1. Funny timing, not 30 minuites ago I was told that (to roughly paraphrase)

    'the notion of the South/North divide was a one way thing. It was a chip we invented and carry, and that Southerners don't hold any derrogatory attitudes toward northerners, they just get on with things because they are a multicultural melting pot with open minds.'

    Is it only me the see's the ironic subconcious judgement being levelled there... so what, in contrast because we have that chip we are white racists with closed minds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww get real!

    You're right. People's thinking is so slippery with this stuff.

    We'll go through this with sports mascots. You can't have an Indian as a mascot because making them look fierce makes it easier to think about killing them.

    Then it should be OK for Ole Miss to have a Rebel for a mascot?

    Well...no uh...that's honori...welll.....uhhh

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way we actually got on to that topic was even funnier: On the one side was hating all forms of patriotism, and regional pride etc, it was a bad thing and lead to terrible attitudes.

    I haev always thought having an identity and being proud of the good things is a nice thing, and as long as its is an evolving and transient state of being, and not a mindless attempt to prevent any change (whether we want all change, considered or not, is another matter).

    'naaw I hate it awl' was the response, 'we'y that's cos your a southern shandy drinker, stands to reason' says I.

    Attempts to lighten the tone did not go well.

    :D Still, I prolly desrved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why it is exactly...though I have some theories...but that approach just never seems to work.

    Unless, of course, you're just tryin' to wind 'em up...but folks like that seem to have a certain view of themselves that just doesn't allow for self-reflection...nevermind outside judgement. Even if it's playful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that that's ever kept from doing it...by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flag: All I see is the General Lee. Now off-road and off-topic: given your love of films - movies - I recently viewed three moving picture presentations based on the novels of Dennis Lehane; not necessarily in chronological order: I watched, "Gone Baby Gone" (directed by Ben Affleck (or "Hairflick", as I like to call him)); "Mystic River" (Clint Eastwood) and, finally, "Shutter Island" (Martin Scorsese). How-would-da guessed Scorsese's effort would have been the weakest?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny you should mention the General Lee...cause nobody had a problem with that 30 years ago, or with University of Las Vegas Nevada fans waving Battle Flags at their basketball games...not, obviously, because it was a Southern school, but because they were the Rebels.

    There's more to come on this...we've got an issue brewin' right now that's sure to come to a head.

    Mystic River I saw...that one wasn't too bad. I haven't seen the others though. I need to put a post for movie suggestions from you clowns.

    Is NOBODY else here bothered by the fact that there was NO coffee pot in the lobby of this motel?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who pursues nasty hotel coffee anyway??

    I think you're the one with the problem...not Holiday Inn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess once you get used to the after-taste of sterling silver...nothin' else will do.

    What about our flag? You probably wouldn't care if the yankee government banned it out-right as long as it caused Ole Miss some discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now there, Vineyards nailed it. I love the bean and, if I got spare after paying bills and topping savings, I treat myself to some Blue Mountain. Finest coffee I ever supped.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spoken like two people that don't make their livin' on the road.

    We need to get you some Community Coffee Nat.

    ReplyDelete