Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dead Man's Shoes and Fish Tank

dead_mans_shoes

On the suggestion of a reader here (flick) I watched Dead Man's Shoes this weekend.

Fantastic. It's a Revenge Flick and a Slasher film...and just campy enough...it's a lot of things. The perspective it forces on the viewer makes for a different experience. Your set against the victims...it's like rooting for Jason against the camp councilors (if you weren't already)...except not entirely. Most of the film you don't really know why he's being quite as vicious as he is...like Lady Snowblood without the first 15 minutes.

It is gory, but considering what it is...no more than you'd expect. I thought it was pretty clever and just a good movie movie. The way Tarentino's films are.

My only complaint was the doctored grainy footage for the kid's flashbacks...it was doctored to almost a comical extent. That's minor.

Thanks for the heads up.

Then there was Fish Tank. What a flippin' movie..or what a story on film. Unlike Dead Man's this one wasn't a movie movie, but excellent none the less. It's southern squalor this time around. Though I do wonder about some of the reviews I read that were little more than hand wringing about poverty. Get out a little more...a lot of people live that way and worse...ever heard of west Yorkshire :). She wasn't missin' any meals...and her track suits cost "20 quid" OK? Her tart of a momma had enough bread to throw parties for her drunk friends.

There was also a lot about her being full of rage. As if it was indiscriminate or misplaced. She had **** to be angry about. Those skanks in the park.

fish-tank-2

She had a tough row to hoe and suffered some hard embarrassing lessons...but being 15 is pretty embarrassing anyway. I think she handle the situation about as well as you'd expect from a kid (what she did that scumbag's front room carpet was well deserved)...if the little girl had drowned the whole thing would have come undone. The bit with the horse...man I just really liked the movie that's all.

I had a lot of hope for her when it was over.

I'm prone to tangents so the UK film fest may continue for a while.

18 comments:

  1. I'm a little iffy about gore, but I'm intrigued by Dead Man's Shoes. Isn't that the mask from the new Red Riding Hood movie, though? No?

    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well well...it's our award winning reader.

    It gory...it definitely follows that convention...people get it in some messed up ways.

    It's disturbing too like she said. It's not like a spoof.

    It's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you seen a Room for Romeo Brass dude? Another great one if you are having a Shane Meadows/UK flicks-athon

    I love that films, a pretty early one, late 90's ish, but the characters are great, and the dialogue is brilliantly delivered. Pretty disturbing though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is now on the list.

    Thanks...dooood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know y'all all watched these movies this weekend on my recommendation...I expect full reports, reactions and reviews.

    I'm a little tied up with good company this weekend...so you've got a few extra hours to get 'em in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dead Mans shoes I seen already, and its awesome; as you were. Then again Paddy Considine is an amazing guy, so what ya expect!

    T'other one I watched a few clips on you tube, looks pretty good, I'll just have to gee myself up to try and not let the shrill accents melt my ears!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to do it every day.

    Up until recently, Southerners were told they had to get the cotton bol out of their mouths if they wanted a national broadcasting job.

    Thankfully it's changing and people like Alton Brown are put in the awkward position of trying to convince people that they are indeed Southerners. There's a funny bit during the Grits episode concerning this on the grits episode.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to say on the grits episode.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course I watched it! Obviously I will be working out my well thought out report and will report back in... a few days... you know... to think and stuff.

    Ahem.

    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinkin' that maybe your not being completely honest with me here...Lor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How has Dead Mans Shoes completely passed me by? How? I need to rectify this immediately. Thanks for the review man, looking forward to watching this immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The good Doctor...

    You oughta get a kick out of it.

    Good to see you around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fish Tank ist rad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I happen to know that this particular anonymous poster knows what he's talking about...Go WATCH IT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dead Man Shoes = best British film in years and years. Dark, sad and sometimes funny in a twisted way. Glad you liked.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome shmary...glad to have you aboard.

    It's a good and one that I think could be watched over and over again.

    Lor would find that out if she wasn't too chicken to watch it the first time.

    ReplyDelete