Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Sunday, March 13, 2011

More Movies More England

somers_town_450
"It's called love suuhhn."

Somers Town.

It was supposed to be A Room for Romeo Brass, but evidently Netflix has never heard of it. Then I tried for Once Upon a Time in the Midlands...that one isn't available instantly. So I settled on Somers Town. I was a little hesitant because one the characters is an immigrant. Nothing against immigrants, but that's a pretty constant theme in American movies...and well y'all know where my head is right now. I needn't have worried.


It's a funny and sweet movie...and Thomas Tugoose is just good that's all. There's no irony or bite...just two kids becoming friends and crushing on a French waitress.*

"It's called love suuhhn."

As good as it was forget about that for a minute...and think about The Damned United.

the-damned-united

FANTASTIC!

I'm not much of a soccer fan...or football if you must...how 'bout Association Football as a compromise? I don't know...y'all just follwo the context. It'll probably mark me out as a nuckle-dragging philistine and someone who is incapable of understanding the beautiful game but...it's the off-sides rule...well that and the fact that there's none of this...


(the audio is atrocious turn it down...but hits so hard the camera can't keep up with some of them)...unless maybe you're talkin' about Leeds in the early 70's.

I think Rugby's probably more my speed.

Anyway, I do appreciate soccer and what it means to people...particularly English football. And I do love sports...especially sports that have a century's worth of stink on them from carrying the hopes and identities of communities on their back. That I do love...that's authenticity and English Football reeks of it. So while I may not clear the calender for Man U. v Liverpool I'd delightfully gobble up a history on the rivalry if anybody wants to send me one.

When The Damned United came up as a suggestion I didn't hesitate...man what a story, what a character...



The other thing it had going for it is that College Football is dominated by coaches...it's a coaches game. They are heralded and blamed for every success and failure a team has. The firing and hiring of these coaches are usually played out with Shakespearean drama..and intrigue. As with everything in college football, nowhere is this more the case than in the SEC. Coaches leave professional teams to coach in the Southeastern Conference...that's how much it means. They become the program..for better or worse...and by extension the face of a State or a Region and take on all the responsibility that comes with it...and with the appropriately outsized egos. Their names are historical and cultural touchstones...Bear Bryant, General Neyland, Shug Jordan, Vince Dooley, and Steve Spurrier (the Brian Clough of the SEC)...just to name a few.

So the psychology of the story was familiar to me and completely sucked me in. The film handled this man, who had greatness in him but who got a little carried away, with the perfect pitch. I genuinely liked him and was mad at him for making a butthead of himself...I didn't feel like he was a jerk, but that he should know better. Quite a feat considering I'd only just met him 20 minutes earlier.

Maybe I'm biased now, but Bobby Bowden...I mean Don Revie and his dirty football team can kiss my grits.

As an aside...when I do come back to England...I'm going to Yorkshire. Yorkshire in the early 70's...and Deep Purple's gonna blare everywhere I swagger.

*It was an unbridled joy after trying to watch that atrocious Kiduldthood. How many times does this movie have to be made before it's seen for precisely what it is...tawdry titillation.

5 comments:

  1. I remember watching Somers Town a few years back in a strange little half gallery, part bar, half cinema building. Marvellous movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ms. Rachel.

    Always glad to see you stop by.


    It was just good. And they never really fell out with one another...which to me is always the most tiring moments in any buddy film or romance.

    Just a genuine story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your outsider's take on Cloughie. You're spot on. He was a sporting genius (if you can have such a thing) who was totally driven by emotion. Eventually, and maybe inevitably, he self-destructed, but my word he was entertaining along the way.

    Football has become a plaything for bored billionaires and spoilt primadonna players, and is a poorer spectacle as a result. There would be no room for Cloughie today, which is why I'm glad he was around while I was still interested in the game. Have you read David Peace's book, on which the film is based? Recommended....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you on this side.

    I really enjoyed that movie...and him. Book's on the list now.

    Professional football over here has the same issues (Manchester's Glazers are former NFL owners). They've been papered over for a while because the ratings have been through the roof (fantasy football and compulsive gamblers), but it's all about to come to a head as it looks like there'll be a strike next year.

    College football though (which puts 10 of thousands more butts in the seats...genuine loyalty) is alive and well...and as it's dominated by the SEC...it's dominated by genuine characters.

    Don't be a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It only took me a week but I just figured out that David Peace also wrote the Red Riding books...the television adaptation being what set off the UK film tear around here.

    ReplyDelete