Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Baton Rouge, L'uisiana

baton rouge 008
I had the gator.

The money was in Baton Rouge this week.

baton rouge 006

Our first exit in the Pelican State.

Britney Spears was born just up the road from Exit 61 in McComb, Mississippi but she was raised in Kentwood, Louisiana.

Aside from the Pumpkin Center/Baptist exit there's not much else along the interstate 'til you get to Baton Rouge and it's Live Oaks...

baton rouge 021

If left alone, the limbs'll get so long that they bow down and start to grow along the sandy ground. There are whole neighborhoods and roads canopied under these things draped with Spanish Moss...it's one of the most beautiful sites in The South.

Of course the most beautiful site in The South is one of these....

baton rouge 039

Tiger Stadium, Death Vally, where it never rains and where in 1988 the fans caused an earthquake to register at the geology center after a game winning touchdown against Auburn.

Baton Rouge is home to Louisiana State University...LSU, The Tigers, Bayou Bengals, founding member of the SEC. They're named after Wheat's Tigers. Recruited mostly from the waterfront in New Orleans they were a L'ousiana unit of zouaves in the Confederate army...so rowdy that they had to be dispersed after Wheat was killed. It's a legacy the LSU fans carry on with ridiculous enthusiasm.

Me and Martha went down for a game against Mississippi State a few years ago. The first thing we saw as we pulled onto campus was an actual gator hanging from the limb of a live oak. The president of the school regularly has to write letters of apology to visiting teams and their fans. While most schools in the SEC are known their sharp dressed fans (ties and cocktail dresses)...at LSU you'll find purple and gold pimps and Elvis impersonators.

First of all they're mostly Cajuns...it's just how they are. Secondly, it takes an act of congress or millions in tv loot to get 'em to play a game during the day. Saturday night in Death Valley is a brutal place to try and get a win...mainly because its 92,000 seats are mostly filled with Coonasses that have been drinking bourbon since before the sun came up.



Edit: I had to add this one...so perfectly over the top.


It's an unqualified blast.

The Money really was in Baton Rouge this week...or more specifically in Gonzalez. I love my job...that's all...and I found out just how satisfying it can be this week. I ride with sales reps. I bring new products and we talk to their customers about bringing them on. I spend a day or two with the reps and get to know them, their goals, about their families...and I get to help them make money. Wednesday, just a couple of hours after meeting a reps wife and daughters, he got a call from a customer we'd talked to that morning...they were going to buy.

He was so excited...jumpin' around, high fives..and then he thought about the money...got his calculator out, ran the numbers...2 grand in annual salary. That's what our morning turned out to be worth for him and his family.

Like I said I love my job.

21 comments:

  1. When Elton John penned the lyrics to Saturday Night, with a quill, I fancy, swaddled in a satin robe, with Columbian marching powder coursing through his veins like wild stallions, he was not thinking about two team of muscle-bounded bruisers ripping up the turf as they each vie to drive the pig-skin trophy deep into each others' territory. Actually, when I put it that way, may be he was, may be he was. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to write the cranked-up hyperbole that goes with these kind of sports promos:

    Deep below the vanishing horizons of the tectonic plates and uncharted depths of the wide-blue oceans, a molten core of primordial flame burns in men's hearts sure as the savage beat hearkening the promise of war; on the planes, the wild hordes gather round the field of combat with their nachos hats and various assortments of deep-fried vittles to take ring-side seats at the arena of Armageddon … only one tribe will survive the final reckoning … &cetra, &cetra …

    Here's a spoof of the UK soccer promos, tame in comparison:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCz7NelwfU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually...and obviously from the above...it would be a good use of your talents. Let me know when you're ready for an agent.

    I'll check the link out when I get home.

    I love these things. Both of the LSU videos are intro videos...played on the big screen before they take the field. The first one's good...a little violence, a little rocknroll and you're ready to go. The second one is a thing of beauty..."when the sun sets in western skies"...I lose it every time.

    P.S. Sunsets there are actually something to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daft Punk - can't say I'm usually a fan - really pulled off a great soundtrack to the new Tron film, even though it was another Disney production: sucky-sucky - disappoint you long time sailor, but there were some fantastic set-pieces and this tune would make an awesome intro to any sports' promo:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGzJFJRkmCE&feature=fvwrel

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I can add nothing witty, I shall merely add that was a beautifull piece of Hollywood build Nat. I especially liked deliberate mistake, left as an astute and subtle nod to marketing types utter disregard for the facts in their attempts to sell their product, as we all of course know Bernie Taupin wrote Eltons Lyrics.

    Also, scrubbing sick out of a car seat is a shit job.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look whose the music snob now.

    Nat has really been carrying the water on this one.

    We need to talk...I nearly turned Pharoah's Army off last night. When she handed that yankee a cup of water...I'd had it but, because of your insistence, I stuck with it. It was gratifying to hear "Get that dead yankee out of my yard"...and it had some genuine moments in it. It's not the movie I've been waiting for though.

    I reckon the setting...Kentucky/Tennessee area...was an ambiguous one. There were some very clever moments...

    It was just three dead yankees short of being completely satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam, absolutely spot on. Drat! And I would have got away with it wasn't for your pesky meddling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *if it* - can someone please call my editor?

    ReplyDelete
  9. "fookeddl" was the verification word for my last post. Talk about schadenfreude.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nat...have you the blog author's comments on here...on your own blog...how I'm liable to leave the subject out of a sentence?

    You're safe here.

    Figures the one and only thing that Allen would know about music has to do with Elton John.

    Who got sick in your car doc?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no further comments to make to the press, save for: Allen, you know who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did I just miss something or did you just think I was Allen?

    First the banana skin, and now this? Get your ass back up that cliff with your acme rocket!

    (Also it was the boy that barfed in glen coe- a milkshake, car smelt good for the next 5-6 hours on a sunny day!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. See Nat...you got nothing to worry about.


    One of y'all needs to get a d***n picture up by your profile.

    D***N!

    Now I have to post Pharoah's Army so we can continue "our" conversation about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Speaking of pictures NAT...why isn't your profile pic in right hand column here.

    Are you ashamed of us?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fair point, in my defence ...LOOK! LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU! ... so you're not buying into my distraction play? ... the defence rests and promises to make amends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a little scared, actually, after watching that second LSU video. That stadium looks like no place for a girl who barely reaches 5 feet tall, is all I'm saying.

    I would love to visit LA sometime soon. Just not for the foosball.

    :)
    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unless you're with the opposing team...you just get to sit back and watch the fun and it is fun...the food's outrageous.

    Hot Boudin! Cold kous kous! Let's Go Tigers! Push! Push! Push!

    South L'uisiana is a real piece of work. I love it down there.


    Good to see you finally made it NAT.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey I reckon the good lady and your sister are gonna dig this :D

    We used to have a TV show over here for kids calls Banana man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananaman). The basic premise was that this little kid ate a banana and became Bananaman, who was a kinda Superman spoof. Have a guess what the kids name was... 3 guesses, but you'll only need one... it begins with E.

    ReplyDelete