Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Monday, December 5, 2011

On the Road - Hubig's Pies

It's occurred to me that, given all the time I spend on the road, as a service to my readers, I should start to compile the vast knowledge I've acquired into something like a survival guide. Not only do I have the experience that comes with spending 72 hours a week behind the wheel but, it also fits in with my natural tendency to be always thinking of others...rarely thinking of myself.

A compendium of things like how to navigate when your GPS is on the blink...or how to maintain a properly functioning vehicle...

Road Life 013

You can leave your wife and kids behind but, your health travels with you.

Lightening strike 009

We'll keep an up to date list of exactly where to get donuts and cheap cigarettes when travelling in Mississippi and Louisiana.

Our first installment concerns the proper (by negative example) procedure for heating a Hubig's Famous New Orleans Style pie on the dashboard.

Photobucket

Just because I spend my days going in and out of the finest kitchens in the Southeast doesn't mean I get to eat in 'em. Besides, a true hallmark of the Road Warrior is not having the time for proper meals. If you want to eat meals...go work for wages. It takes caffine, sugar and, intestinal fortitude to live this life.

Hubigs Pies...delicious in any state but, like anything involving butter solids, heavenly at room temperature. That's when the magic happens...crumbly becomes flaky...viscous becomes gooey. There's always the microwave, but....



...you run the risk of burning a hole between your mouth and your nasal cavities.

The better option is your dash. Granted there is an abundance of sunshine where I live and even on a chilly day it beats down enough warmth to melt butter on a dashboard. If you "live" in colder climes...you'll be running the heat.

What you don't want to do is what I did last week on the way back from Baton Rouge. Conditions were perfect..not only was the sun brightly shining but, it was a cool day and I had the heat set to a gentle warmth. I watched that Hubig's Apple on the dash all day long. Letting the anticipation build...at times I could smell it. My mouth would water. I would resit. This was going to be my treat for the last leg of the trip...coffee at the McDonald's in McComb and my delicious fried apple pie.

I was set when I pulled back on the I-55 headed towards Brookhaven. In a couple of miles the coffee would cool enough to drink and it would be time to rip that brittle paper open on the form of delicious.

"WT..."

The bottom of my pie was perfectly soft to the touch...but, the top was like a block of dry ice. I had let the sun set on my pie. Evidently 50 degrees hitting your windshield at 80 miles an hour, in the dark, turns the thing into a freezer coil. Disaster...or, it would have been if not for the Mackdonald's coffee. After 10 miles, the temperature of the coffee had dropped down to just above the boiling point. I was able to cool my coffee to a potable temperature and heat my pie right up to the melting point.

Adapt and overcome. That's how you survive on the road.

17 comments:

  1. There's no way on earth that those pies can be remotely good for you. But nutrition's never the point with these things. I speak as one partial to a Pork Scratching.

    Good excuse for an Alan Partridge clip too. Is his new 'autobiography' on your Christmas list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...it is now. I've killed many an afternoon at work with those clips.

    Pork Rinds???

    S*** you'd be in hog heaven around this place. In fact, I've gotta stop at a meat market today where they sell fresh ones...cracklins too. Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahhahaha. You ever think of trying out for survivor, with that ingenuity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to do huge miles just over a decade ago now, and food was often where you found it, and most the time not good for you. Eating breakfast at a diner and McDonald's for lunch and god knows what for dinner often after 11.00pm. Had done that for over a decade when I had to give it up. Kind of miss those quiet hours behind the wheel though. Ohh and the high performance cars I used to drive at the time lol.

    Your right though there needs to be a survival guide for the newbies..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who's gonna write the chapter on dealing with hotel breakfast bars?

    You know dealing with how small and cramped they are...and how in hotels there are people from other places with different ideas about personal space and hovering.

    I just walked away from a waffle in the iron...hopefully I haven't set the place on fire.

    Horse...I don't think you're the only one around here that crushes on motors. I think we have a few other gear heads on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who doesn't love a pork scratching, or crackling? I have always been expecting the day I find a nipple in a bag though... never happened yet I hasten to add.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know your right about the breakfast bars, one place I stayed at was so small and unclean even my stomach said no to the idea of eating there. Seems they had half a school load of 9 year olds all with colds staying... I wont forget that morning for a while. Ohh that and every boy standing out side pointing at the car lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. whisper:Adam nipples don't come in bags. Just email me and I'll explain it all to you...it's bout time you knew:whisper

    :)

    That would be so nasty. Thanks for putting that possibility my mind.

    Rule number one for avoiding a nasty breakfast bar and finding a half eaten sandwich under the bed in your room...don't let Martha make the reservations.

    I saw the car on your blog...sharp. A lot sharper than the long suffering Trailblazer I'm pushing around. I just realized today it's six thousand past due for an oil change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are welcome, I did find a corner once though, got me thinking what part of a pig has corners. I decided the bits of a pig you probably wouldn't eat by choice, but I did anyway. Adapt and overcome indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It just so happens that I am in a unique position to find out anything you'd ever want to know about pork rinds.

    Do we want to know?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do indeed.

    Going up and down Australia more than I'd ever thought would be necessary and not being partial to industrial meat pies with ketchup, the F-word and I have found potato chips dipped in extra-fatty tzatziki is our go-to road food. But to get the best out of that you really need a partner who can feed you while you drive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha ha

    I was with one of my favorite reps yesterday. A big framed, bald, lumbering fella that only moves in one direction...forward! He's got a voice like 20 grit sand paper..."Ayrr-ick you're not lissnin to whhat I'm sayyyin."

    Right up the road is another of my favorites...a soft spoken, slender, silver hair that could be mistaken for meek...really he's just dry.

    Predictably these two are tight as a weave...and ruthless toward one another.

    The big fella swears the slender one wears a garter belt under his britches.

    The slender one has warned me..."Eark if you hear him start hum Tip Toe Through The Tulips With Me...you git outta that car immediately."

    I'm just what the two of them would do with the idea of the other feeding me potato chips while we made the rounds.

    Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. This gear-head remembers the sheer unadulterated awfulness of the inner city "hotels" she stumbled upon when a road newbie...The type of places where they rented rooms by the hour - and I wondered why they looked strangely at me when I asked for a single room and for the night...
    I scratched and itched for hours whilst listening to the heavy footsteps and the opening and closing of doors and of folks "at it" and each other...
    Might have been acceptable if there had been a hubig pie for breakfast.
    But no.
    Stewed tea and lukewarm milk for rice crispies...
    Innocence is all very well - but this world weary traveller now gets a better class of room altogether...
    You have a fine descriptive turn of pen and your characterisation has me feeling like I know the folk you speak of...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've slept in the lobby of a Children's Hospital in Heidelberg, Germany...a bus stop there too, the Port Station in Hollyhead, Stanstead and Heathrow airports, a few (too many) nights on Greyhound buses, and a Scottish Inn.*

    I would gladly sleep in any one of those places again over the room I had in Baton Rouge a couple of weeks ago. The place looked perfectly fine from the outside but the room....dried tooth paste in the sink, grey wash cloths and a smell like a tire fire when I turned on the heat. It was disgusting...I have no idea what they served for breakfast. I didn't even drink the coffee there.

    *Do the fine people of Scotland know how this hotel chain in the u.s. is soiling the name of their fine country?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You never seen the following clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw

    we are worryingly close to doing that with bad hotel tales...lol...

    And no - never heard of a Scottish Inn...and there was me thinking the good people of Scotland were more than capable of soiling their own name...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen it...they used to dump a load of rotten fish on us every morning...hahahaha.

    I usually stay in Hampton Inns. They're nice enough for 100 bucks and always clean.

    The Scottish Inn....well, just like a ho's gotta eat...she's gotta have a place to sleep too...and work. Just this side of an hourly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I initially commented I appear to have clicked the -Notify
    me when new comments are added- checkbox and from
    now on whenever a comment is added I receive four emails with the exact same comment.

    Perhaps there is a way you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks!
    Also visit my website - e cigarette

    ReplyDelete