Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Monday, January 23, 2012

Head Lightin'

Photobucket

"I know right w'ere they was. Back when we was teenagers J., my husband," here she clasped her hands together, lowered her head and opened her eyes to emphasize the clarification, then she cocked her head back up, splayed her fingers back out and continued... "and them used to go head lightin' down there."

Mrs. C runs a country store and diner in the Pine Belt...and tells stories. This particular story had been set off by some very dark news but, we've had enough of that for a minute or two.

Mrs. C's in her early 50's probably and has an exquisite Southern accent...Mississippi accent. It's not deep but it's round and has developed a fine vibrating patina that's priceless. She's not a big woman but she's got a wide frame that gives her an erect appearance. When she speaks, she cocks her head back slightly. Her eyes are half closed above high flatish cheek bones...split by a slight, smooth flowing, Roman nose.

Even in a pink t-shirt and jeans it's hard to deny the regal air of it...but the warmth of her voice and regular bursts of laughter keep the stuffiness cleared out. When she lowers her head...her eyes come on like high beams.

"I tried to tell 'im they'us gone get in trouble down there but, he couldn't resist it. You know they used to be hundreds of deer down there at night."

At this point she must have sensed that there were a few people who hadn't cottoned on to what they were doin (which seems impossible to me considering the crowd but*...I think she was right) and so she explained...

"B. drove while J. would hang out the passenger window and shoot to the left. The Kendall boy would ride in the back, leanin on the roof and cover the right. They just couldn't stay away from it."

"Anyway, one night me and J. was supposed to go on a date. I waited and waited but, he never showed,"...she cleared the air with a wave of her fingers, lowered her head and lit up..."donch you know I got my little panties in a wad over that."

"Weeeell...they shot 'em a deer that evenin'. Got him loaded up and jess before they's about to get on the highway...Game Warden cut on his lights. They made some sorry attempt to explain but he stopped 'em cold and told 'em he knew exactly which one of 'em shot 'im, where they shot 'im, and how they shot 'im."

"Kendall, he come from money, he thought he'd jess write a check and that'd be the end of but, no...they didn't like them boys. They confiscated the truck...it was B's Daddy's truck...the guns and fined them boys Fifuh-Teeeen Hundred dollas a piece...Fifuh-Teen Hundred dolla's."

Well satisfied that she had once again gotten to tell her old man "I told you so"...she sucked on her teeth and gave a little rumble of a laugh. She told me to come on back to the kitchen. I nestled in, I've seen bigger kitchens on fishing boats, next to her daughter and started cookin'. The daughter was haggard but cheerful enough...she's probably a few years older than me.

"Now don't you pay all the attention to her...jess 'cause she's young."

Laugh's probably still bouncing off the yellowed walls in the place.

I love my job.

*There may or may not have been a time when my Daddy may or may not have hunted coons in the woods, at night, with somebody who may or may not have been carrying a flashlight.

15 comments:

  1. I really love both the picture and the story, E.F. Thanks so much for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ma'am. I appreciate that.

    The stories are easy...I'm surrounded by bona fide characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really need to write that book. This is beautiful. And I love your illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, you do have crazy - er, i mean colorful - characters in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a prerequisite for living in these parts.

    ISBW - y'all keep buttering me up like this and I may not have a choice. I'm almost blushing over here.

    You can eat 'Em. People develop a taste for a lot of things when they're enslaved or poor, or their economy is erased over night, their cities are destroyed and they suffer through a decade of harsh occupation...those tastes don't go away over night. Or, if you live in South Louisiana, you just can't resist killin' and eaten anything that moves.

    Believe it or not I am desperately trying to convince my bosses that we can make a killin off pickled pigs feet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that picture, cracking post today.

    SP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks S.P. Nothing better than satisfied customers.

      Delete
  7. I'd be quite interested in trying a pickled pig's foot. We Irish were raised on 'cribeens' (not pickled though) and before someone told me they were disgusting and put me off, I used to love 'em. They were cheap and they filled you up.

    I imagine racoon would be similar to possum, which I did try when I went to Australia. They were also historically eaten by people when times were hard (though as with many of these things, they've more recently acquired a certain 'trendy' vibe.). Pig's feet, pig's cheek and pork belly are all doing the rounds in upmarket restaurants over here these days. The one I don't think is EVER going to become trendy is tripe. There's just no way of disguising that taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think an exploration of Cracker Culture is long over due around here...get to the bottom of why things here might strike some of you bizarre and familiar at the same time.

    Gia though, should she be reading this, is probably on the verge of losing her "lunch".

    I'll get a picture of the jars of pigs feet, jowls, pickled eggs (pink and white...you either one or the other) that crowd the counters of groceries and curb stores around here.

    Possums a pretty good comparison...and plenty of them still get ate in certain parts.

    One thing I've been glad to see lately is the appearance of grits on dinner menus...just plain grits. Swanky places have been serving them for supper...shrimp and grits, etc...for a while but, they're starting to show up as a side dishes.

    I'll give another one that the food tourists won't touch...chitlins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful e.f.
    Beautiful.
    I've read and re-read just for the savouring of the words and the style and the characters and the whole feel of it...
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you have such a lovely, lyrical way with a story. I reckon you should do it as 'spoken word' for us one day somehow, and let us in to your wonderful 'miss-hippy' accent... Captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ladies are too sweet...really. Y'all don't know how happy it makes me that these stories are enjoyed. I don''t ever think about these things as writing I just try to do justice to the people I meet and the places I go...my home.

    C you're in luck if that's what you really want. Just click on the video tab. The first one up...Burial...is the same type of thing I've done here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, thanks for that! What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you got a kick out of it.

    My own accent is as much south Georgia (everybody in the house including most of those that came in and out of it were from Georgia) as it is Mississippi. I do suffer less confusion when it comes to r's and w's than some of my family.

    My sister's got A good one though...and, believe or not, so does Martha when she's wound up enough to forget about enunciating.

    ReplyDelete