Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Monday, July 23, 2012

Gleaning


Heckler Spray. A sonic break-beat...



"This Malkmus idiot is some kinda song writing genius" Gary Young.

Photobucket

The last post was meant to be about the Boy...it got outta hand and now I'm obsessing.

My compulsive issues with The Fall are well documented, and mercilessly ridiculed by some, in these pages. Of course, it's not just the brilliance of Mark E. Smith that causes these bouts...brilliant though he is...there's a crack in my mind and right now it's being filled with nonsense and racket. Pavement.*

I've also finally figured out how to edit videos...kinda.

Recorder Grot.


(NSWF)
A tore-up but steady rhythm...when the lyric starts, with a squeal, it's stretched beyond melody. Then almost at the point of white noise it breaks into an Arena-Rock solid riff...claps and all...before descending back into jibbberish and noise. A slice of genius...this one.

"I forget sometimes how much I like them."

Unlike most of my obsessions, Martha's on board with this one. Not so much the Drag City, recording project stuff but, the actual songs that came later. By the time Slanted and Enchanted was released they were an actual band...for better or worse.

Elevate Me Later.



The Reflex by Duran Duran was once hilariously described as "cocaine set to music."** The crescendo at the end (2:10-20) and the breezy way it glides back to earth is about as close to the sound of a toke as you're likely to find.***

"Swingin' nunchucks like you just don't care"....If you want to know what my early 20's sounded like...when the past never crossed my mind and I had no notion of the future. I just was...here it is.



Looking back on it...not such a great time...mostly I was drunk but, the music was good.

There was one last great album...probably the best of the lot.

"They all sounded like hits to me...but I was smokin' a lot of pot." Malkmus on Wowee Zowee



For about six months Wowee Zowee was considered their first misstep...then a round of on-second-thought reviews started. The album was a masterpiece but, by that time the damage was done. The egos here were obviously more fragile than they may have appeared. I think it's what killed 'em. There were two more records but they didn't sound much better than the contractual obligations that they were.

Alright maybe that'll get it outta my system...thanks for humoring me.

*My Bloody Valentine is another recurring problem of mine...don't be surprised if I spend a month in the future posting When You Sleep every other day.

**Kibber did that.

***As a responsible parent I do not partake..and besides, it is illegal. Still, I am amazed that one can legally soak their brain in pure corn liquor but, grass puts you at odds with the law.

6 comments:

  1. There is no Pavement on my IPOD, allow me to correct this glaring oversight before you unfollow my blog :)My Bloody Valentine....I will need convincing

    Great tune-age

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't do you like that Ms Sharron. My own wife hates the Fall and I haven't divorced her.

    I think you'll be happy with it though.

    My Bloody Valentine is an easy sell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the little road movie, e.f. Where are all the other cars, though?!
    Oh, I forgot. That's not England...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were all on highway 49 between Jackson and Magee...not only was it clogged up on Monday afternoon, people were driving like lunatics.

    There is a lot open road though. That first bit of road is about twenty miles of bridge over a swamp heading toward New Orleans on I-55.

    I'm glad you liked it. There will be more now that I've half way figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh music of the mind.. After 3 days 2700kms later I am officially sick of Ministry of Sound and all of the incarnations. Aussie 80-90's rock is still in my good books. And everything else in my 16 day long play list on the ipod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Radio Birdman and The Clean (NZ)....and of course AC/DC...all I'd need.

      Delete