Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Post #4

"I've tried not to bang on too much about Mark E. Smith of The Fall but if we do secede, he will be on the banknotes, the proud but self-satirising laureate of 'northern white crap that talks back'."
Stuart Maconie, Pies and Prejudice

BANG!BANG! THE MIGHTY FALL!



The Fall Wings:
Day by day.
The moon gains on me.
Day by day.
The moon gains on me.

Purchased pair of flabby wings.
I took to doing some HOVERING.
Here is a list of incorrect things.

HOVERED mid-air outside a study.
An academic kneaded his chin,
set in the dust of some cheap magazines.
His academic rust, could not burn them up.

Recruited some gremlins.
To get me clear of the airline routes.
I paid them off with stuffing from my wings.
They had some fun with those
cheapo airline snobs.(Are any of you seriously gonna try and deny the greatness of this?)

The stuffing loss made me hit a timelock.
I ended up in the eighteen sixties.
I've been there for one hundred

and twenty five years.
A small alteration of the past.
Can turn time into space.

Ended up under Ardwick Bridge.
With some veterans from the U.S. Civil War.
They were under Irish patronage.
We shot dead a stupid sergeant,
but I got hit in the crossfire.
The lucky hit made me hit a time lock.

But, when I got back.
The place I made the purchase, no longer exists
I'd erased it under the bridge.

Day by day.
The moon came towards me
By such things.
The moon came towards me.

So now I sleep in ditches.
And hide away from nosey kids.
The wings rot and feather under me.
The wings rot and curl right under me.
A small alteration of the past.
Can turn time into space.
Small touches can alter more
than a mere decade.



O'er grassy dale, and lowland scene
Come see, come hear, the English Scheme.
The lower-class, want brass, bad chests, scrounge fags.
The clever ones tend to emigrate
Like your psychotic big brother, who left home
For jobs in Holland, Munich, Rome
He's thick but he struck it rich, switch
The commune crap, camp bop, middle-class, flip-flop
Guess that's why they end up in bands
He's the green piece in us all
He's the creep-creep in us all
Condescends to black men
Very nice to them
They talk of Chile while driving through Haslingdon (Deny this line at the peril of your own credibility)
You got sixty hour weeks, and stone stone toilet back-gardens
Peter Cook's jokes, bad dope, check shirts, lousy groups
Point their fingers at America
Down pokey quaint streets in Cambridge
Cycles our distant spastic heritage
Its a gay red, roundhead, army career, grim head
If we was smart we'd emigrate
____________________________________
Baffelingly I am surrounded by people who haaaaaaaaaaate The Fall...Really?

Not only are they denying the greatest mind in English (as in English English) letters since Orwell...they're denying what may be the only example of organic English Rock-n-Roll. This is Bo Diddley playing CAN covers for Fat Possum Records...spontaneously arising like magic from Prestwich.

Why do y'all hate rocknroll?

Give it up...They are the greatest of all Time.

5 comments:

  1. Its such a shame he's a cretin, and the musics crap really.

    :D Did I start you in another loop of Fall worship? If so please pass of my apologies to the wife, it was inadvertant... well maybe a little

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw it's been brewin' for a while...at least another month to go.

    No problem she's just learned to live with it...over the last 12 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This is Bo Diddley playing CAN covers for Fat Possum Records". Damn straight and beautifully put. You cannot knock a band who can crank out that kind of groove. Thanks for the kind word about my music too. I noticed you've got JB Hutto on yr list of favourite music. Good call, one of my favourite slideslingers ever, and not a name you hear much in these sadly blues-ignorant days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sir...there early records really have a Hill Country Blues sound to 'em. I don't know if they were aware of it or not.

    I'll be comin' round for more clips...you can be sure of that.

    Hutto's obscurity is criminal...Hip Shakin' Alone should have made him a household name. I go through periods of obsessively listening to Hutto, Hound Dog Taylor, Robert Nighthawk, Joe Carter and of course Elmore James.

    On a long list, one of the best things about Mississippi is the musical tradition of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should be "their".

    Martha's really been wearing me out over my spelling and grammar.

    ReplyDelete