Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Biographical Tid Bit #3

I was almost killed by, and may yet die from embarrassment because of...one of these.

banana


It happened in the parking lot at Hudson Salvage in Brandon...I'll never forget it. We had just left the store and were headed across the parking lot to the car when my right foot slid...more like a glide really...out from under me. It was so sudden and severe that Martha grabbed my arm.

I was the first to notice what had happened. I stared at the rubbery fleshy yellow lump in silence...not wanting to believe it while my mind started calculating the implications of what had happened.

Then I heard it...a guttural braying that was hard to place...like a pony and elephant having a heated argument..hahuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh heeeeh heeeh heeh...followed by gasping...huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh and sighing....aaahhhhhhhhhh...over and over. It sounded like the universe was laughing at me but it was just Martha...and when the sister found out....

It's a sound that's echoed in my head for 14 years.

"You slipped on a banana peel." That's their answer to everything.

As has been recently established by one of our loyal readers, I have the looks of a young Marlon Brando..."You slipped on a Banana Peel."

Style? I've got miles and miles. Martha's moseyin' around this morning in a pair of, admittedly flattering, sweatpants and short terry-cloth robe while I'm lounging in a red and white gingham oxford, a pair of perfectly faded jeans and loafers. Ralph Lauren told me he wanted to have my baby..."You slipped on a Banana Peel."

The two of them have a good degree from fine institutions. I have degrees from Superstar institutions...."You slipped on a Banana Peel."

I have a better record collection than both of 'em put together. They think James Chance was a game show host and neither one of 'em could name one Slint song or pick Mark E Smith out of lineup...."You slipped on a Banana Peel."

Etc.

Nothing I've done in life or may yet do can get out from under the shadow of that banana peel. This may end up being the only biographical tidbit that matters in the end.

13 comments:

  1. This is good to know, and will now form the full stop, or 'period' if you will, of many conversations I have with you hence forth.

    We appreciate your honesty, but seriously; are you a cartoon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's really nowhere left to go from there except underneath an anvil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno, someone could tie you to some train tracks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..or give you a big round black ball with 'BOMB' written on one side, fizzing a lot.

    Jees, I'm sure with some illegal chinese fireworks, and a sharpie you could knock up an 'ACME rocket'.

    Never believe life has dealt you its top trump, when you dunno what else is in the pack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just been waitin' for a moment like this hadn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is a little unfa... yeah I have.

    But anyway, how was your weekend dude? Did you see any friends? Go to church? Read some Camus? Fall off the roof and leave a perfectly human shaped hole in the lawn?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's true...you could be President of the United States and all I would be thinking is that's the jabroni that slipped on a banana peel. So true...so true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mostly I spent the weekend dealing with Martha's jokes about me being tied to a railroad track.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jabroni???

    What are you...a rapper from the Jersey Shore?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not your fault that people don't understand the post-ironic statement you were making, viz-viz, the sartorial decline in the use of bananas as a vehicle for the comedic discipline of slap-stick; the art of a well-turned slip.

    Only kidding - or am I?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew I could count on you to appreciate the brilliance of my performance piece...and not crack acme jokes.

    Or can I?

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I can say is; watch that no one has painted a fake tunnel mouth on a brick wall when you are driving around out there earning a buck!

    These are dangerous time we live in, even discounting Bed Intruders!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't forget Prime Rib is on special tonight at the Buffet...Wheel of Fortune slot is up over a million and they'll be raffling off Suzuki Ninja in the Tampa Lounge at Midnight...

    And we'll be here all week.

    Good Night Everybody...You've been great. Say good night Erik.

    Good Night Erik.....

    ReplyDelete