Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Monday, July 4, 2011

Do Not Feed the Alligators.

Gulf Shores 010

A little late for that. This joker sees a person he hears a dinner bell and makes a bee line. That's the problem with feedin' 'em.

When I was a kid we spent a lot of weekends at St. Marks Wildlife Refuge in Florida.

stmarks1

We would use these tiny little brine shrimp as bait for fishing. Scoop 'em up with hand nets from the pool where that picture was taken. It didn't take long for the gators to appear. You'd dip your net in the water and a head would pop up as you pulled it out...Some bigger and more disturbing than others.

I wonder how much of this The Sister remembers. I know she remembers the time that a bull gator growled at us. I bet she remembers me riding all the way back to Tallahassee with a three inch splinter in my big toe picked up during our frantic run across a wooden bridge to get as far away from that sound as possible.

What? Yeah. We were barefoot...of course we were.

Anyway, like I said I never could catch any fish at that place...so, I crabbed. Tie a chicken neck to the end of a string, throw in the water, give it a minute, pull it out...crabs. The problem is gators like chicken necks too. It doesn't take 'em long to associate people with food...humans cause hunger pangs. That's when an otherwise disinterested creature becomes an eater of dogs and small children...so don't feed the gators! Last time we were there, crabbing had been banned.

Don't worry about feeding the snakes...

Gulf Shores 2 051

They seem to be managing.

Satan's hand-puppet there is no bigger round than your index finger. He's devouring a frog...at an excruciating pace. The frog was starting to balloon. We looked for something long enough to catch and fling the snake over to the gator...to snuff out that little devil and put the poor frog out of his misery but we couldn't. Beastly.

Nature's a &*^&^%%%(**&^^! You won't find any more passionate conservationists than you will in The South...hunting and fishing are so deeply engrained in the culture...but, you won't find a lot of support for abstract, misty eyed concerns about the "environment."

When your towns aren't being erased by hurricanes...you're dodging tornadoes, gators, and snakes. The Sister knows two little boys that have been bitten by Cotton Mouths, one in the backyard, the other in his own garage, this year...terrible. Sometimes around here it seems like a fight...and not a fair one (ask the folks in Tuscaloosa).

Don't wanna be overly dramatic about it...we aren't struggling to survive...at least not most of the time :).

Gulf Shores 007

Most of the time it's just a beautiful place.

7 comments:

  1. Did y'all really go to St. Marks? I am very jealous. You're a good husband for making stops like that on the way home. All my Xan wants to do after a trip is make a beeline for the house. Good for you. I would like to see the ole Lighthouse again, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. The snake eating the frog pic is highly unnecessary and needs to be removed. Also, the last picture is dark and I cannot see anything. Certainly you can find a better one to replace it with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at it again anonymous...it's subtle. Kinda like your relationship with geography.

    Even still...I am wonderful husband...and brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the frog pic, in a sort of mesmerised, horrified way. Nature, red in tooth and claw, as you say.

    I'm amazed that people have to be officially warned not to feed the gators, mind you. Nothing on earth could induce me to dangle a snack within a mile of one. Genuinely terrifying..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place was about 4 or 5 feet off the water...at a donut shop.

    People, especially them that have never seen one, feel like they're at a safe enough distance to throw him a donut and have a look. Then when they're back in michigan sleeping tight...a family dog disappears.

    Normally they're not that aggressive...I've jumped in a pond where small ones were around to retrieve a golf club (that had mysteriously SLIPPED out of my hand in the direction of the water). Had I seen a cottonmouth anywhere on the property (surely they were there anyway) I wouldn't have even looked at the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nay, not mildly; not a smidgen or a tad, but *HIGHLY* unnecessary - a deviant deviation; a violent violation; an abominable abomination!

    Thank you.

    That is all.

    Let the matter rest here and no more be said of it as all that can be said of it has been said of it and it is now a matter forever closed. Good day to you Sir.

    Forsooth man: let it be or be damned!

    I SAID GOOD DAY SIR!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's no wonder the Indians made a killin' of y'all charming snakes.

    I'll try to dig up some of the more colorful anecdotes I collected.

    Be worth a post.

    ReplyDelete