Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Monday, December 19, 2011

Waffle House - Ephemera and Detritus

Photobucket

High Street Waffle House.

After the closing of Tastee Donuts in Fondern, and before the need for wi-fi, I lived there. Waffle House is a Southern Institution...you wouldn't pass it up if you were in these parts.

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped at a gas station in Poplarville to get a cup of coffee. As I leaned on the hood smoking a cigarette two cars pulled up and out poured 10 kids from Birmingham England. They were on their way from New Orleans to Memphis. Best I could tell they had been having the time of their life.

Two things they were most excited about at the moment...one, the Mug Shot papers. You'll find 'em in every gas station. It's just a little paper magazine that reprints the county mug shoots, booking photos, for that month.

"Ohhhh...somebody be'd going to jail over this back home."

And the food..."Waffle House...yeah Waffle House," it kinda echoed around the nodding group.

It wasn't uncommon for Brits to show up at High St. on their way to New Orleans. It was right off the interstate.

"How much farther?"

"Three hours maybe"

Slumped shoulders and a look of total defeat.

The food is scrumptious...when they're clean enough to eat in. Usually the first six months they're fine...then the retired hookers, drug dealers, etc. are moved in and it's a steady decent. Most of the clientele don't care...truckers, cops, working girls and students.

The place is open 24 hours...that's all you really need to know.

High St. was where I got through school and met half the people in my life...and this was my view.

Photobucket

I was sitting in that very spot the night that David Allan Coe asked if he and a very young, very Asian, very stoned woman could have the booth.



It's also the place where I met Allan...our Allan. I was there preparing to start at Millsaps. He was already a superstar there....preparing for a senior year that would end with three Oral and Written comprehensive exams. He left the place with a degree in History, Philosophy and Religious Studies. He would go on to receive a PhD in Philosophy and is now warping young minds in Mobile Alabama. He is most famous for holding the position of non-contributing Philosopher here at Flimsy Cups.

Photobucket

I also met Matt M. there...and for the next four years we spent hours there almost every day. Talking (mostly music and his lady troubles), smoking and drinking as much coffee as they could make. About $1.09 for a bottomless cup back then.

Photobucket

Matt's at Princeton now studying music.

There was Brannon...a kind of brooding figure that delivered papers in the morning and pizzas at night during his last year of high school. He had calculated every dime it would take to pay rent and buy groceries for four years of college. He'd have a hasbrown...but, no smother or cover. That 75 cents might be the difference between having a tube of toothpaste in March or brushing with baking soda.

He was also brilliant and, last I heard, a PhD candidate at Harvard...probably done by now.


Photobucket

The help were ambiguous about our presence. They'd clown with us sometimes...ask for rides home, try to sell us dope...growl about having to make another pot of coffee.

They had their own problems...bail bondsmen, the poleese, ex girlfriends.

Photobucket

What really makes a Waffle House besides never closing and the ash trays...is the sound. Stainless steel constantly banging and scraping on cast iron, the ring of plates spinning on linoleum, shouted orders, metal spoons pinging against ceramic coffee cups.

For someone who can't concentrate when it's quiet it was the best possible place to study...and I worked my way through school in that place. That and I doodled.

Photobucket

Sometimes both.

I have stacks of these little tablets...occasionally there are notes but, mostly just doodles and misc. thoughts.

Somehow it all worked out.

We aren't done with the Waffle House.

18 comments:

  1. e.f. - are you writing a book? If not you need to. There is so much I like about the way you weave a narrative.
    Re Allan - coincidence! My first degree was English lit and Religious Studies.
    I am now planning a trip to Waffle House. Sounds my kind of place - just the right mix of folk. And edge.
    Get the book finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I guess your waffle houses are like our diners.

    Never heard of mug shot papers before...that's a unique little tradition in the south, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gossip is our main tradition...these papers are most helpful with that. :)

    Thank you Muj...you never know what I might be up to but, the kind words are nothing but helpful.

    Too bad they don't have one in Leeds for late nights or early mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad indeed e.f. - but maybe that's what my pal and me need to open!
    In the meantime we just need to put up with those fat chips (fries) and mayo from the 24hr chippy in the astonishing eye-poppingly out there "alternative" area in leeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would go in the UK. The menu's basically a fry up. You could add beans and those mushy bangers...you'd have to keep the grits though.

    The Birmingham crowd was split down the middle on grits...which is amazing considering the what passes for grits at the Waffle House.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this 'other world' your posts take me to! And great doodles - more doodles please...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to see you here C.

    Thank you...high praise considering the source. You're in luck. When I pulled out those old notebooks I found scads of drawings. Some of them were really old.

    This is definitely another world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another evocative post. I had an Edward Hopper scene in my mind until I got down to your own illustrations. And I laughed aloud when I came across your reference to The Strange Death of Liberal England. It makes complete sense that of course it would have been one of your texts. Marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you kindly.

    No real romance to the seediness at Waffle House.

    I wish could find my old copy...it was a paper back but, had the best cover. A Punch cartoon of political figures in a gymnasium setting...medicine balls and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post made me nostalgic. I too have a Waffle House of sorts that I don't nearly get to enough anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been to High Street in years. I think I'd miss it more if my buddy's were still around.

    Or maybe I wouldn't miss it at all if they were...it hasn't been that long since me and Allan killed a few hours at a Waffle House in Pascagoula.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. I spent a lot of my university days at the local coffee shop. I mean real coffee not that re hydrated stuff. By the time I got my degree I was a certified Coffee NAZI.

    I then moved into the city and lived at a coffee place in one of the trendy suburbs during the 90's. Wish I had 50 cents for every cup I had drunk lol.

    But the people were what had me coming back time after time, was a real study in humanity seeing people come in barely awake or those at the end of their day looking burnt out. A good cup of coffee and a chat and they turned into real people again.

    Thanks for the memories

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'd have to learn to be forgiving if you wanted a cup from waffle house. It's certainly not the worst...and I prefer it to the Jamacan Blue Monkey Jumping Bean roast of the month these prissy cafes sell (today's tastes like soured liquor from a pot boiled peanuts)...but, it's nothing fancy.

    The people in there were pretty fancy though. Like I said it was right off the interstate so, there was that traffic. The Fair Grounds are right across the street...Carnies and Cowboys. The regulars were a collection of local musicians(urban blues and soul types), store front preachers and people that didn't seem to do anything really but read the paper and drink coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I got the lawyer situation sorted, my legals cost paid and compensation - issue resolved. Pleased as punch. I'll be traveling for the next month; so will dip off the radar for a bit, but I'd like to wish all the best to the Flimsy Cup crew. Having good people around is something I really appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best to you buddy.

    There really isn't a Flimsy Cups without you...so, be safe and hurry back.

    Glad, because I assume, no one was hurt in the process of resolving yer issues.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One day I'm going to get to America and see this for myself!

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  17. They'll have the light on for you.

    Of course you'll have to come to The South.

    Beware! I have been in some where I was afraid to drink the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Нello, of cοurse this piece of wгiting is
    aсtually good and I have learned lot of things frоm it сonceгning blogging.
    thanks.

    Have a lοοk at my ωebрage :: CaгbоnΡokeг Offeг ()

    ReplyDelete