Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

BOO! It's Books.

A lotta talk about the books on blogs this week.

I think there are a couple of reasons for this...one, people like to read. Two, a lot of people live in places where they're about to be shut in for the next couple of months.

I like readin' too I reckon. Mainly I like buying books but, what I really love is tormenting my friends and family.

This post isn't so much an effort to claim a tea cup at the book club, but to put Martha and Allan on the couch. Both of whom love books...and have a clinical obsession with order.*

Wackos.

Photobucket

That's me sittin' outside Beckham Books in the Quarter...burnin' one before I go in.

I needn't have bothered...they never have anything I want in there. Even for the book sniffers there's nothing...too many dirty cat boxes. I'd tell you to skip it but, if you're the kind of person that goes to these places...you're gonna go anyway.

Photobucket

Crescent City Books. We've been here before but the last picture wasn't nearly this crappy...and it didn't have a cat in it.

On this particular day I paid 25 bucks for a book on French Imperialism in Senegal. I found the same book for 10 dollars later that day but, that place didn't have a cat to feed.

Photobucket

Here's where the magic really happens...Arcadian Books. The place can't be much bigger than your dinning room....

Photobucket

...and this is the glorious result.

Relax you two...it's just a picture. You aren't actually there and the room isn't actually spinning.

Besides, this cat's got it under control.

Photobucket

Just ask 'im where something is. Besides, even though he's only got about a tenth of the space, it's still not as bad as Choctaw.

Speaking of books and Jackson...dig it.

Photobucket

This old place used to be a favorite of Mississippi legislators...evidently the state was practically run out of there at one time. According to Harry down at Choctaw...a blind drunk William Faulkner was often tucked into bed there by Eudora Welty.

The coolest thing about the Sun-n-Sands was the dance floor. Six by six parquet floor in front of a juke box. It would've been an effort to get two people on it at the same time...but worth it I'm sure.

Anyway....
________________________________________________________

Aside from books, there's also been a lot of talk of malaise...a lack of inspiration.

Look how easy it is y'all...just post some really bad photos and make a few asinine remarks. Failing that you could draw inspiration from your surroundings...which I'm assuming for some of y'all is gonna look a lot like this til April.

Photobucket

Night.

*I've got my fingers crossed that Adam also falls into this category. I think it's a safe bet.

17 comments:

  1. Hahaha, those book pictures look like a hoarder's wet dream

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd be kinda right, but actually, as long as the guy isn't a sweaty freak and the place doesn't smell of piss, then I actually quite like goofy places like that, as long as its kookie chaos its quite fun. On the flip side, were I to own it, it would not look like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S.
    ... Despite the weather, most of us won't be looking at that for a few months, because A) we own combs we know how to use and B) have managable hair.

    I think that was all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah well, at least I've never slipped on a...Oh wait. Forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually laughed out loud, not really, a genuine lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *no really

    that should have said. Needed cheering up this week, that did it :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the humiliation that keeps on giving.

    What is goin' on over there...e'erybody's down.

    I wish I could give Britain a coke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. winters here; without the silver lining of snow, no one has any money, and I am working for cretins with no escape because they ain't no jobs about. Sometimes it stacks up like the books in that store. On top of it my guitar is sounding god awfull and I think its the speaker, and they ain't cheap.

    I think it'd take more than a coke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey e.f. you n me would get on just fine. Those bookshops look just fine to me... there's order in that chaos...you just need to look to know that!

    Adam - you sound like you are living my life...yip there's no jobs anywhere so the ones that are lucky enough to have a job - however shit it is - are staying put and sucking up...
    Plus we have rabid right wing hedge-fund nutters in charge of the government. My food bill just hit £160 per week and my gas n electricity £200 per month. And my mad son is off out tonight to celebrate his birthday - already three sheets to the wind before he left...

    I support the GMC researchers who recently recommended addition of lithium to the public water... we could be screwed but at least we wouldn't be depressed...

    ReplyDelete
  10. We'd be in great shape...til we got to the political science section :).

    I can't have y'all down in the dumps. I can't have my people depressed like this.

    I'm taking it on as my personal responsibility to cheer y'all up. To hell with winters and recessions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think a cokecola would do it...but, y'all'd have to find it in little green bottles.

    I just had an ice cold one...I don't know why they even bother selling it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, we got ourselves a reader ...

    http://youtu.be/Uvs2g5Nj0NI

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in the middle of typing out a response explaining my own personal experiences with the Intellectual atmosphere of the Waffle House...When I realized it deserves it's own space.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Recently, I've been preoccupied with dealing with lawyers and, for the purposes of my own personal entertainment, I've introduced them to the concept of cannibalism; so, I've thrown them a bone; hopefully, they won't catch on it's their own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just been worried that you had moved on from dealing with Lawyers to standing in front of a judge...worried we were gonna have to send Adam over to spring you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nat - there are good lawyers out there...honest...maybe as rare as hens teeth...but they are there, just waiting for you to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know Muj...Nat is the contributing philosopher here at Flimsy CUps (Allan is the non-contributing philosopher here).

    There's an open slot for a contributing legal council...or non-contributing. What is your experience with traffic courts?

    ReplyDelete