Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Price of Sugar.


Because of my job, I spend a lot of time standing outside of places...smoking, looking at the clock on my phone, smoking. Sometimes I catch conversations on the sidewalk...

"You seena price uh shuga'?"

The old man was wearing a straw fedora and a pair of square rim glasses that were so big they almost stuck out past the brim...his face was split by a beak. He leaned forward and spit over a huge jutting chin that was smooth and red as an apple...like it'd been blowed it up and polished. When he leaned back up there was an oily streak runnin' down the center of it. He pulled a stained handkerchief from his back pocket...

"Awmost ain't worf it."

His buddy weren't young but he was younger than the old man. He stood with his hands in his pockets....thumbs stuck out, rockin' back in forth on the balls of his feet. The old man gave the impression of a hawk on a pole...his buddy was jolly lookin'.

To get his hands in his pockets he had to bend his arms out around a gigantic, perfectly round belly. He looked like he was pregnant with an elephant. The last two buttons on his shirt probably hadn't been fastened for a decade. Every time he rocked forward I was sure he was goin' on his face.

His hair still had some blonde in it though and his eyes were clear blue. Of course they were buried behind bright red rubbery cheeks. He never said a word.

The old man stuffed the handkerchief back in his pocket and slowly cracked a smile...

"Awwwmost."



White Lightnin', Mountain Dew...Moonshine.

To be continued...









8 comments:

  1. Sugar's cheap in Canada. We have a great big sugar refinery in Toronto that Cuban cane comes to. I think it mostly gets sold on to the States once refined, which is sort of funny. You coulda told those guys to blame Miami, or Florida for being a swing state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine they're more worried about the price of corn today. That ---- is about to go through the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, vivid descriptions, e.f. I can really see those guys in my head. Looking forward to next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ma'am. I aim to please but, as always the people I live with make it pretty easy.

      Delete
  4. To reiterate, you draw some fabulous word-pictures. I've got the pair of them nailed thanks to that. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to your description, I too can see the guy in my mind......clear blue eyes & a 'pregnant' belly (has to stop ma'self picturing hubby for a while there!)
    Love the writing & look forward to the next instalment :-)

    Thank you for stopping by my spot & commenting. Much appreciated :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs. Jayne...and thanks for stopping by on what, I think, is one of the better posts. Taste.

      Most of these knuckleheads just wait for me to do something stupid so they can pop in for a cheap laugh. They don't normally have to wait too long. :)

      It was touching what you wrote.

      Delete