Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Monday, May 9, 2011

Rotten Egg and Freckles - Part 2

Anyway...we had a great meal Saturday night and, for the first time in a very long time, we were able to enjoy just being the two of us. We didn't have to get the boy until noon the next day so we made plans for a leisurely breakfast at a place called Another Broken Egg.

It's a new restaurant in town. Its focus is breakfast, but not like Waffle House though...it's a restaurant with table cloths and all that. It's also a breakfast joint without any grits unless...and Allan will luuuv this....you want Grits and Blackberries as a breakfast appetizer. WT...?

They started on the Gulf Coast in North Florida but it was obviously designed for vacationing yankees. Corn Beef Hash??? If I've had it in an MRE...I'm not gonna pay for it.

Anyway, Martha got some Mexican eggs and I got three rubbery pancakes with enough butter to cover a postage stamp...barely.

That'll be forty dollars. FORTY DOLLARS!!! At today's exchange rate that's 24 pound 40 for our readers in the UK. Forty Bucks...24 quid...for a breakfasts withOUT GRITS!

Get &&*&*^%*^*&d!

Despite all that ( and despite the fact that we sat outside. I'm afraid I wasn't able to conceal my disappointment over that decision very well. It's not natural...sun glaring in your eyes, people sitting on top of you, not wanting to talk above a whisper, patio furniture...unless it's at the beach I'd rather be in the natural setting for a human being while eating...booth, dark, climate control, walled off from other eating humans...) we did manage to carry on the kinda meandering conversations we used to have over meals...before we were hired on as help for a two year old.

That's when the freckles came up. Martha's from good Scottish stock...lots of freckles and they reproduce like rabbits in April if you get a little sun on her. I love those freckles...who doesn't?

I wake up in a lot of hotel rooms always with the tv on and almost always with an infomercial playing...often for a cream that will hide a woman's freckles. Why on EARTH would a woman want to do something like that...same reason she wants to have the body of a 15 year old boy...because she doesn't care about attracting straight men...she just wants to make her female friends furious with envy. The best way to do that??? Become the ideal woman in form and skin tone as determined by gay fashion designers.

It would be a much different world if straight men ran the fashion and beauty industries. Yeah you might have to wear some blue eye-shadow, you'd probably be spending a lot more time in hot-pants, even your pajamas would be low cut but, the second that little pot belly started flattenin' out..."Better stock up on Twinkies"...."My bottom has lost that slight jiggle it had last summer. Better cut down on the exercise...have a honeybun."

I'm just sayin....

7 comments:

  1. Man, we got 4 cooked breakfasts, and a kids one with tea and toast for £20 at the weekend, but then again we hardly went to the most high brow spot in town, but it was good. It was dark as hell in there two, with a few delightfull souls starting on the the pop at 10am.. you'd prolly have loved it. I like sitting outside to eat, but I don't sit in the sun, even when I'm not eating. Gotta always be in the shade looking out, thats how I like it.

    You shoulda gone into design dude; real design, for real blokes. You got th eladies right, then all the dudes in check shirts, chinos, and proper mens shoes, with non-banana-slip soles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously I missed my calling.

    We coulda got three orders of Duck Nachos with that forty bucks...that's a freakin' carton of cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My breakfast invariably consists of ground coffee with full fat milk and a cigarette. Rarely eat till noon. Still, I have a mild case of gut overhang and any plans to achieve that beach body by summer are riddled with buckshot and tied to the back fender of hope, destination, Nowheresville. Not that I would ever be seen on a beach in the full glare of the sunlight, I get UV rash which leaves looking like Vincent Price in that Hammer Horror movie, "The Masque of the Red Death"; in case of reference bypass, needless to say, not good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sun and my skins comfortable in it, but it's pretty intense first thing in the morning...turn your knife the wrong way and your apt to burn a hole in your cornea.

    Other than the milk...that's my usual breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, Caffetiere of decent coffee from Atkinsons (http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk/), usually milk, and just for the extra lard-arsed-ness, a bar of chocolate, usually just a mini Snickers to kick start my brain.

    My skin seems alright in the sun (seem to go brown properly), but man I have a shit load of moles. Proper moley-moley-moley austin powers stylee too. 5 minuites out there and I smell like cancer. I got that off my nan who has had skin cancer twice, helped along admittedly by 1960-70's sun screen advice: "go out there, cover you self in chip fat, and wait until you smell crispy duck".

    Besides Emmas got proper pale skin and dark hair (proper Victorian lady stuff) so she goes white, white, white, bright red, and peel. So we are happy enough together in the shade :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Grandaddy Bartlam died of skin cancer. Both of his parents were English and he got a nice brown color from the sun...he was a carpenter.

    Maybe not so nice in the end but, y'all know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fancy.

    I'm at Starbucks...they must not know about Atkinsons...I figured these folks'd probably block it if they did.

    Could I get a plain cup of coffee in there?

    ReplyDelete